Sunday 17 December 2006

BUSY, BUSY.













As mentioned I've been on nights Friday and Saturday. I'm still recovering and trying to re-set the clock for day shift on Tuesday. Never easy.

Friday night was mad. I think it was the busiest night of the year so far. normally it's the Friday before Christmas so next week could be worse.

What did we do? Well we did:-
3 chest pains
2 difficulty in breathing
5 assaults
2 D&I
2 urgent cases (where a GP has seen the patient and booked transport)

I was quite impressed with one of the D&I's. I've seen it before, but was breath taken by the achievement of the individual involved. This 19 year old student had got so incredibly drunk that not only had he passed out, GCS 9 (Below 9 is a coma) he had filled his breaks. The stench was terrible. Clouds of shit guff hovering in the air, mustard gas would be less toxic. The volume passed also exceeded anything I have previously encountered, so I obviously managed to get some on my trousers. Luckily for me he diluted this with vomit en route so off I was to get changed.

The second urgent case is still irritating me. 48 year old Mrs Y had to wait 4.25 hours for a lift to the hospital. Her GP suspected a UTI ( Urinary Tract Infection) and in an open letter, which she had red, suggested that she be monitored and on fluids for 4 hours, unusual for a GP to be this specific but there you go. When we turned up she was waiting and walked out to the bus with her husband saying, as expected, I'll follow in the car. FU**ERS. She would of been getting ready to go home if she'd jumped in her husbands car as suggested by the Doctor. People really have no concept about what we do and the limited resources available, even on "quiet" days. Hope her piss burns for weeks.

Saturday was unnaturally quiet. Not to say we were not on the move all the time just not under the same pressure to clear at hospital for the next job.

4 assaults
4 chest pains
2 DIB's

Normal stuff really.

One of the assaults could of potentially been vary serious. A 23 year old male had got into a fight at a club and he Had been "glassed". Why someone would glass this 5'3" Gent was beyond me. He walked like a Paratrooper with the jaw on his shaved head thrust out and was kind enough to ask everybody to fu*c off before he bumped into them. Anyway, the glass shattered cutting deeply into his neck. It had sliced through the skin and partly severed the thick corded muscle that runs down the neck. In hospital they could see the carotid artery through the wound. Another couple of mm and he'd of bled out before we arrived. His cousin was with him. A very pleasant woman who would not stop shouting about the revenge that the family would take on the culprit and refused to do anything asked of her because everybody in the police and ambulance service is " f***ing stupid". Last I herd they had both been nicked for breach while in the hospital. Such a shame, such nice people.

I actually like being this busy. Time rattles in and before you know it your asleep on the station couch after finishing time because your to tired to drive home. They were good nights and the people who needed help got it despite the mayhem.

No comments: