Wednesday 10 January 2007

THE DARK SIDE OF IT.














I seem to remember reading somewhere, in the distant past, that research has found that there is no relationship between the moon being full and an increase in admissions to A&E.

I guess that this must be true as a whole bunch of people with BSc's and knowledge of statistics have proven this. So, accepting the fact of this I must say it is, to my mind, total crap. There is a change that takes place over the full moon.

Now, there could be a number of reasons that statistics dont show this.

They may not pick up the fact that on any friday night the ambulance service is at capacity. If the most jobs that can be done by a crew in a shift is 14, then an increase just means people dont get an ambulance before they decide to go home. People go home with a cut eye rather than get themselves to hospital by taxi so no increase in admissions.

The type of incident is different. On any given night there may be X amount of assault. These are usually drink induced in a pub and involve a couple of scroats that would be better off being used as practice targets for knife throwers. When the full moon shines it wonder on the earth there may still be only X amount of assaults but these seem to be more random. Innocent blokes walking home to the wife after a couple of drinks with his best mate. Kerpow.... he's on his back while some scum he's never seen before has hit him over the back of the head with a bit of 4*2.

I tend to be silly enough to believe research but I know from experience that the full moon thing is not just an urban rumour. The moon exerts quite considerable powers on the earth and people have even worshiped it. It makes my back hurt and I tend to wake up naked in a field with a funny iron like taste in my mouth, I think my nose must bleed too as my face is covered in blood. Strange.

Anyone I have brought this subject up with in the emergency services, and those I know in education, say the same thing. Beware the full moon. The next one is on the 19th and I'm on a rest day. How cool is that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stuff the scientists!

We all know that powerful forces are at work within the lunar cycle.

I cannot recall a single shift that I have worked with a full moon in the Heavens where I have not been inundated with assaults, overdoses, attempted and actual suicides and all other manner of weird and wonderful cases.

Also if you stand beneath a full moon and weigh yourself you are actually lighter due to the moons gravitational effects on the earth and tides and stuff and that.

Or so I,ve been told...

Anonymous said...

Used to believe the research till I went to A&E. Now strongly refute research!

Full moon doesnt seem to increase numbers significantly but seems to really adversely affect the quality of punter including attracting all the 'regulars'. The MOI and circumstances are more bizarre, the accompanying significant others defy description and you can barely get a sensible answer out of anyone, occasionally including the staff.

Not tried the weighing on a full moon but like the idea of demonstrating all the christmas choccies have had no effect.

Lucy