Wednesday 17 January 2007

IT WAS BROUGHT.

Well, today was good by my standards.

The second job was to a 64 YOF with a cold who all but ran to the bus and had her daughter follow in the car. Hated GP referrals by 08:30 hours. Will never understand the lack of thought that Doctors put into things like these. Blood pressure up and the day begins.

Just before lunch a call came through to an 82 YOM with chest pain. On arrival he looked fine but using the skills of a sleuth, that would make Bergerac proud, discovered a barn door MI. These skills involved doing a 12 lead ECG and asking him some standard questions. Now until December this would have been thrombolised; but now we take kids like this to the “cath lab” for an angioplasty (balloon in the artery to expand the vessel). First time taking someone here so this equates as a good job. Pain relief, heparin and transport. Job done and I hope he’s going to be ok although they decided that an angioplasty wasn’t appropriate.

Second last job was to a 55 YOM with an almost un-natural medical history for someone his age. You could tell that he had been a big, strong, intelligent and, I guess, handsome man. Now he has osteoporosis, Parkinson’s, infective soars in his legs, cellulitys – for a start. It was a long list. I guess that he wouldn’t want my pity, and well, I wont give it. I do however feel for this man ravaged by such indiscriminating and debilitating diseases at such a young age. There are so many people we come across that are just a waste of skin. If I believed in god, which I don’t, I’d think, “You bastard!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As is the way of the world.