Monday 15 January 2007

UNCONCIOUS, UNKNOWN PROBLEM.












What can we do? In the last four year I have been to one person who was genuinely unconscious; he was a technician who worked at a neighbouring station and was seriously ill.

Now, if you have a GCS of 8 or below you are in a coma; I accept this as being unconscious/unwell. In fact if your GCS is, seriously, below 12 you get quite a lot of my attention and a very quick trip to hospital. Just because you’re too pissed to walk doesn’t interest me. Pretending to of taken an overdose does not either.

Why do you think I’ll find this interesting? Why do your friends? Because you have spent 10 hours drinking vodka and red bull I wont find you any more interesting than I would otherwise. The six co-codamol you’ve taken over the last 8 hours don’t really interest me either!

I get that the general public don’t understand that to be unconscious your, well, unconscious. Not responding to anything. Really out of it; I mean really out of it.

Why can’t you take your pissed friend home? Why can’t you behave like a friend and look after your mates? Why do you think I’ll care when you don’t?

Bunch of wankers. If my mates acted like most of the “you” out there I wouldn’t talk to them any more!

6 comments:

Merys said...

I've seen it with students under my 'care' in the university. Conveniently 'unconscious' after a night on the town and want the warden to babysit.

It's always the biggest blokes that can't hold their beer and are laid flat on their back in bed when their equally huge mates call me out. Learning the recovery position should be mandatory for attending university, as well as learning how to hold your beer....

Anonymous said...

Bugger. I can do the recovery posistion, but can't hold my beer for shit, am I a failure?!

Anonymous said...

I never like having to make a 999 call for someone who can't take their beer (whilst first aiding in the SU Venues), - but when their GCS is E2V2M4 (approximately, I know I'm not an expert) and you can never be sure how much is drink, and if they've been taking "other substances", not forgetting the falling over and bumping their head - I give in.
Still won't get any sympathy though.

Thankfully, I can take my beer ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to this post of yours in me other post, you raised a smile (as usual). It helps put into perspective a bit when you read how somebody experienced deals with it. By the way, your generic situation described pretty much followed mine to the letter.

Iain MacBain - or maybe not!!?? said...

No prob carmello. It's an unfortunate fact of life that the people in your blog take up a disproportianate amount of our time. It is frustrating but you must keepup the respect levels when dealing with them; even though it's hard to do.

That or make sure you dont get caught.

Ellis James said...

Had a job recently were a woman had 'collapsed' in her sisters house. We got there and it turned out it was a regular, and we had trouble rousing her from her sleep. My crew mate had been called out to her home home a couple of nights previous and the women had shouted abuse over the garden wall and told them to go get her some alcohol. Anyway, to the point, my crew mate took great pleasure in performing the sternal rub and 'pen on the nails' in order to rouse her. I also took the opportunity to practise, She didn't accept an OP airway. Later learnt that she had been brought into the local a&e six times over that same weekend.