Thursday 4 January 2007

GUESS WHAT I GOT UP TO...
















Well, I'm back from a fantastic week on Islay. I must say that it a beautiful place and that I'll be back; largely because my mate has a holiday home there but also because I liked it so much.

Much alcohol was consumed, food eaten and a general feeling of good will spread through the land as is the theme of the season. The weather was awful however. I don't think the wind got below 50mph at any point with gusts over new years eve in excess of 100mph. It was exciting though having to batten down the hatches. It rained most of the time too with squalls being driven of the Atlantic by these gale force winds. I love it really, cooreying down in front of an open fire with the weather doing its best to let you know who's boss.

For the first time in my life, though, I went land yachting (hence the pic.) and I loved it. I've done a bit of sailing in my time but it's really quite easy and don't think this helped much. I'm quite a big lad and it takes quite a breeze to get me going so conditions were perfect.

It's a bit like setting up a wind surfer on wheels except for the fixed mast. 10 minutes and your off. I loved the exhilarating of tearing along the beach at 30-40mph with my bum only inches from the sand. Of course I got soaked to the skin but, hay, what the hell...... I'm going to buy one.Love it, love it, love it. The last sport I tried that took me like this was surfing, not that I do that much anymore so why not. I only live 8 miles from a beach.

Hope the holidays, if you got any, were as good as mine and that '07 is fab..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definately putting you down for SWAB Team 6 Transport Officer now!