Wednesday 24 January 2007

GET ME ON A GOOD DAY.

Now here’s the thing, if your drunk, or out of your tits on drugs, be nice to me.

I’m a pretty decent person, really, and do my job because I care about people. Honestly that’s the reason, pretty wanky, but the truth. I like people and I like helping them and, heck, think I’m pretty good at it when their ill, sick or injured.

If your just a piss-head or out your tits on “E” I’ll still be nice to you, even though I know you don’t need my help. If you start the verbal or get punchy I’ll become a lot less caring.

I’ve only been assaulted a couple of times, this year, and neither were very serious. I got a good thwack on the chin from a drunk I was helping from under a bus (no injuries, he placed himself there) and became a bit dizzy as a result, but that’s it.

I’m pretty easy to understand in my belief about self-preservation. I give you 30 seconds. If I walk into your house and you start gobbing off at me, I’ll try and explain/appease but there is only so much I can do. If you really think that because your mate has been drinking for 48 hours and has been sick you can call me a C++t your wrong. If you’re angry that we were not there in 5 minutes you’re wrong. Very wrong, I walk out the door and you can walk the 500m to A&E yourself.

If you really want to hit me make sure you do a good job. At 6’2” and 18 stone (28% body fat) I may be old and slow but you only get one free hit. I am use to getting the odd thump. I’m not sure what “reasonable force” is but remember …. I’m not drunk; and I only want to hit you once.

Usually the police are there do deal with you, thankfully. Just a thought for you though. Think about it if you ever can. I know it’s not happened yet – probably because the police are there to deal with you.

Tossers!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian. Check out Carmelo's or my site to see that we don't have to worry about thugs on the streets, when we have a small but significant number of our own thugs within service. Shocking.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicenurse, If you do have a number of "thugs" within the service in your area they'd probably better suited to management roles and will almost surely be promoted.
It's important to differentiate between "thugs" and people who have been in the job too long to suffer fools though.

Anonymous said...

Iain,

I cannot condone violence to pts one, because I dont think a civilised society should act this way and two, cos I am a wuss and fighting scares me. However, a wee evil thought at the back of my mind does suggest that good communication is all about engaging with pts in the language they understand. Therefore, if their social system is based on an animal model of scrapping to establish who is the alpha male should you club them on arrival at the house just to assert your authority?

Of course, if you were to follow through animal models of adopting the pts social system it could lead to you having to spray mark your dominance at the doorways to some of the less fragrant homes in your area. Does make you think tho'?

Lucy

Iain MacBain - or maybe not!!?? said...

Lucy, your quitr right. I don like violence either and seem to manage to diffuse most situations. Some people are beyond reason though and I just wont put up with being abused, verbally or physically. I dont get paid for that.

I was also a bit pissed when I wrote this so full of the bravado that I hate so much. Next time I'll just spray.

Anonymous said...

Its OK for you to get these things off your chest - its what a blog is for!
In my experience people who can write down in more than one sentence that they're so mad they'd like to hit someone, are very rarely violent in real life.

Big Pleb said...

Macbain,

call us out mate, Im 6ft5 16st and f***in hate these idiots that expect a service from us and abuse us in the process. Ive been called in a few times by paramedics on the street or nurses in A&E for drunken/drugged up scumbags who just want to fight. I dont like fighting myself, I relieve my anger playing rugby but sometimes force is a necessity when dealing with these people and force is used - knee strike is a good one!
To FIRE/Paramedics/Nurses you do a great job and shouldnt expect abuse or violence, I dont want it but I suppose Ive got used to being the subject as part of the job.

Iain MacBain - or maybe not!!?? said...

Wish it wouldn't raise its head but when it does the poilce are always there, good on you.

Easier to avoid it reallywhich I try snd do.